From the Past by Alan MacRae

Stewart Memorial Health Centre officially opened at Tyne Valley, 1951

Stewart Memorial Health Centre Officially Opened at Tyne Valley, 1951.
“The official opening of the Stewart Memorial Health Centre at Tyne Valley took place yesterday afternoon, 24 May 1951, at 3 o’clock with about 400 people present to witness the memorial function. The admirable result of a three year dream which started working in the fall of 1948 was open for inspection by the public after the ceremonies were over.” “Summerside Journal,” 25 May 1951.
“The official opening started at 3 o’clock with Mr. Richard Found, chairman of the institution acting as the master of ceremonies. The chairman expressed his pride of the effort made on everyone’s part to help in the construction of the centre. This institution cannot function without your help and support. This is your institution built for your use; help it and benefit from it.”

The Farmer of 1850 Sells His Eight Pigs

“It is all very well to talk about the ‘good old days’ when many things that enter into the cost of living could be bought for a fraction of today’s price and at that could not be bought by many. But what about the producers of food in those days? The answer is that the farmers received for their products a return that was in line with the prices they had to pay for what they did not produced themselves.” “Summerside Journal,” 18 May 1951.
“Back at the beginning of the 1900s an Ontario farmer was very happy when he made a success out of hog-raising, and saw a possible $500 a year added to his income. An example of the ‘good old days’ was the farmer in Goderich township, Huron county, Ontario who in 1859 marketed eight seven-month old Yorkshire pigs which brought him the net sum of $91.25.”

O’Leary Co-op marks Anniversary,1951

“On 10 May 1951 the Co-operative of O’Leary, P. E. Island held its eleventh anniversary meeting in the Community Hall on Thursday night. There was a large number present and it was one of the finest meetings ever held here for the Co-Op.” “Summerside Journal,” 14 May 1951.
“Mr. Earle Ellis, president, opened the meeting by introducing the visitors and extending a welcome to all. Ivan Webb, secretary, read minutes of last meeting which were approved. The president gave an excellent report of the year’s work. The secretary gave a report on the directors’ responsibilities in the work of the Co-Op, which was to meet once a month and go over business. The auditor’s report was read by Leo Corcoran as Mr. Dennis was not able to be present. This ably covered all the year’s activities of the previous year. Mr. Corcoran congratulated the manager and staff of the fine success of the Co-Op.”

Winter Travel in Pioneer Days Was Fraught with Danger, 1865

“Tales of pioneer days never lose the punch in the retelling, and the story of Thomas Robins lives on. On 16 January 1885 Thomas Robins and his sisters, together with a lady acquaintance, drove from Bedeque to Summerisde to visit friends who had moved there a few years earlier. The distance by road is about 9 miles; by ice scarcely six. The party took the shorter winter route.” “Summerside Journal,” 9 February 1951 as told by F. H. MacArthur.
“Shortly after midnight they started for home. A light snow-fall had already begun and when about two miles of the distance had been covered the wind whipped up the fluffy snowflakes into a seething mass of fury. But the party pushed on, with no thought of danger that lay before them.”

Island’s Lobster Catch Biggest in Twenty Years, 1950

“Prince Edward Island’s 1950 lobster catch has been the greatest in the province since 1932. Up to the end of September (figures were not available for the first five days of October which marks the close of the lobster season) Island fishermen on the North and South shores caught nine million pounds with a landed value of $2 million dollars, or 20 cents per pound.” “Summerside Journal,” 16 October 1950.
“Last year’s total catch for the whole season, ending on October 5, was only a little less than seven million pounds with a landed value of almost $1.4 million dollars. This year’s catch was therefore not only greater in volume but also commanded a higher price to the fishermen who received almost 2 cents per pound.”

Canning of Island Oysters in Full Swing at Jenkins Bros., Summerside, 1950

“The canning factory of Jenkins Bros. Ltd., Summerside, P. E. Island who specializes in canning lobster, chicken, beef, strawberries, and other commodities at the present time is concentrating on the canning of oysters.” “Summerside Journal,” 24 November 1950.
“This work, which started about a week ago, is in full swing and the public now have the privilege of sampling, at small cost, delicious Island oysters from the Malpeque Bay area and other reliable oyster fishing waters in Western Prince County. Oysters as put up in this form by Jenkins Bros. are unsurpassed for oyster stews as the writer of this veracious narration of ‘canny’ doings can truthfully attest for he tried them.”

Something about Cheese, It All Started with the Ancients

“Cheese making goes back as far as recorded history. In the earliest records there is mention of the use of cheese as a food. The Greeks and the Romans provided cheese for their armies a thousand years before the birth of Christ and the Greeks urged their famous wrestlers to eat great quantities of cheese as they recognized the strength-giving properties of this milk food. In the Old Testament cheese is frequently mentioned.” “Summerside Journal,” 16 October 1950.

Christmas, 1950: Toy Rocking Chair for Children in Summerside Coming by Warship, the “Magnificent”

“A toy rocking chair which weighs about five pounds started on the long journey from Portsmouth, England to Canada on 25 October 1950 today, in time for Christmas Day, in the Canadian warship, “Magnificent.” …”Summerside Journal,” 25 October 1950.
“In the captain’s cabin of the 14,000 ton aircraft carrier “Magnificent,” which left Portsmouth for Halifax via Cherbourg, Lisbon, Gibraltar and Bermuda, stood the gaily-painted chair which Leonard Jones of Bristol, England built three years ago for his grandchildren in Summerside, Prince Edward Island.”

Alberton, the Community that It Was in 1913

One hundred years ago, the former settlement of “Stumptown” was incorporated as the Town of Alberton in the spring of 1913. The Town’s first mayor and council were selected at a public meeting on May 6. As we look back to that period what was life like then for the residents of Alberton?
The first Town Council faced a list of municipal needs but had no money in its coffers, and there were no annual grants from the provincial or federal governments. The only source of income was the poll tax and some miscellaneous fees which collected less than $100 per year. Although the town boasted a couple of fox millionaires and the province had begun to collect a tax on the automobile, no one in Alberton is recorded to have paid any tax. At its first meeting Council set up committees to deal with street and lights, police, and finance. The ladies of the town were asked to hold a tea party that summer to raise revenue for the Town.

P. E. Island’s fisheries problems Aired at Meeting, 1949

“Problems relative to the fisheries industry of the province were discussed at a meeting of the P. E. I. Fisheries Federation held last week at Charlottetown. The meeting was called to discuss solutions to reverse the decline in demand and loss of markets for Island fish caused by the end of the recent world war, when demand was great.” “Summerside Journal,” 14 November 1949.
“Those present were: Clive Planta, manager of the Fisheries Council of Canada; Howard McKichan, Halifax, General Manager, United Maritime Fishermen; John B. Myrick, Tignish, past president and Director of the P.E.I. Fisheries Federation and a Director of the Fisheries Council of Canada; Gene Gorman, Director of Extension, St. Dunstan’s University, and the chairman of the Fishermen’s Loan Board of P.E.I.; and Alban McAdam, a representative fisherman of the province.”

view counter
view counter